The upper Thames from its source in the Cotswolds downstream to elegant Henley includes a great variety of landscapes. From remote and wild pasture meadows to the steeply wooded Chiltern slopes the river threads its way through sleepy rural villages and through the heart of bustling historic towns such as Oxford and Henley. With our long experience of the river's passage, we have created this tour to include all the variety on offer but none of the repetition.
Much of the route is along the Thames Path, but occasionally we will take you along infinitely preferable bridleways which are closer to the river and notably prettier. We have made sure you will have time to discover all the Upper Thames has to offer including the stunning delights of Oxford and a short river boat hop from there to Abingdon. The tour is such a great way to discover the sights and smells of quintessential England as the river threads its way through history while water meadows, old inns, wildlife and weirs lead you serenely on.
- Price from
- Classic £1,055 per person based on two people sharing a room
- Luxury £1,420 per person based on two people sharing a room
- 7 nights or 13 if combined with our Thames Path from Henley to London trip
- Start & Finish
- Starts Tuesdays from Ewen near Cirencester. Finishes Henley. Ewen is a short taxi ride from the mainline station of Kemble which is 1.25 hours from Paddington, London. Henley is 1 hour from London by train
- Classic Centrally located hand picked hotels, inns and 2 b&b's
- Luxury 3, 4 and 5 star hotels that include 4 inns dating from the 13th to 17th Century
- Activity level
- Not so gentle walking. More info...
- 7 days of walking 6 - 15 miles (10 - 24 km) per day
- More or less flat
- Additional nights in Oxford or Henley
- Follow the entire river to London by adding our Walk the Lower Thames trip. 13 nights in total, costing:
- £1,695 per person for the classic trip
- £2,390 per person for the luxury trip