On this drive and walk combo trip you will discover the country that inspired so many well known British writers. Not surprisingly, the route takes you on a magical tour of Britain’s most stunning landscapes that inspired them. Follow in the footsteps of Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Dylan Thomas, William Shakespeare, The Bronte sisters, James Herriot, William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter. Explore the lakes, hills and coastline which influenced their quills, stay in the villages where they lived and walk in their footsteps enjoying the atmosphere and detail that is recorded in their writings.
Beginning in London and then the gentle hamlets of southern England, your travels take you through west country villages to the coastline of Wales. Then head on through the Cotswolds to Stratford on Avon in the heart of middle England. From here you travel north to the very different scene of the Yorkshire moors and then into the poetic Yorkshire Dales. Enjoy the drama of the Lake District before reaching Scotland and Edinburgh your final destination.
This trip is based and priced on 12 nights but can be tailored to a minimum of 6 nights. Your itinerary includes directions for the self drive route and the 9 writers walks.
- Price from
- Classic £1,165 per person based on two people sharing a room. Car hire is additional and can be booked with us from £475
- Luxury £2,605 per person based on two people sharing a room. Car hire is additional and can be booked with us from £475
- Extras included
- There are no extras, however you’ll love what’s included as standard
- 12 nights
- Start & Finish
- Starts Wednesdays from London. Finishes Edinburgh
- Classic Hand picked and centrally located small hotels and a restaurant with rooms
- Luxury Three 5 star, two 4 star and one 3 star hotels, our classic choice of hotel for 2 nights and a superb inn
- Activity level
- Gentle walking. More info...
- This tour is priced without a guide and you are free to explore on your own. If you would like a guide for part or all of your trip, we are happy to provide a knowledgeable, local guide
- 9 days with optional writers walks 2 - 13 miles (3 - 21 km) per day
- Gentle with some slopes in Wales, Yorkshire and the Lake District
- Add additional nights en route in Bath, the Cotswolds and Oxford
- Add a second night at any of the stop overs