Home to England's biggest lakes and tallest mountains, the Lake District is an area of electrifying natural beauty and as such, has recently become a World Heritage Site. It has inspired numerous writers, artists and poets and you will not fail to fall under its magical spell either as you pedal its stunning length from serene Lake Bassenthwaite in the north to magnificent Lake Windermere in the south.
This is a strenuous cycling holiday with an utterly staggering ride we are proud to have created, which we want you all to enjoy, and as a result we are recommending electric bikes which are just perfect for this terrain. Our Electric Lakes tour will enable you to cruise not only by steam boat on Ullswater, by launch on Coniston Water and by steam train to Windermere, but also to cruise on two wheels past fells and crags, hill hamlets and hidden valleys, sheep clad slopes and of course, dreamy lake shores too. Much of the route is off the beaten track, through stunning woods, past cosy inns and over fords to small breweries and tiny water mills. Enjoy wonderful gardens, a Georgian town, an intriguing castle, the homes of Ruskin, Wordsworth and Potter, a vibrant food scene and stays in 4 different locations from tranquil lake side to ancient market town and buzzing waterfront. No wonder we call it Electric Lakes!
- Price from
- Classic £1,555 per person based on two people sharing a room
- Luxury £2,425 per person based on two people sharing a room
- Extras included
- Transfers on days 3,4 and 5. Steam boat on day 4 and steam train on day 8. See what’s included as standard
- 8 nights
- Start & Finish
- Tour starts Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays near Lake Bassenthwaite and ends in Bowness on Windermere. Bassenthwaite is near Carlisle and Penrith stations and is servd by Glasgow, Manchester and Carlisle airports. Bowness is close to Windermere station.
- Classic 2 inns, a Victorian guest house and a small, lakeside hotel
- Luxury 4 country house hotels, all 4 star or above
- Activity level
- Not so gentle cycling. More info...
- This tour is priced without a guide and you are free to explore on your own. If you would like a guide for part or all of your trip, we are happy to provide a knowledgeable, local guide
- Electric bikes
- Available and recommended
- 3 days of cycling 16 - 24 miles (26 to 38 km) with a further 3 days of optional cycling and 1 day of optional walking
- Hilly every day
- 15% on hard surfaced cycle paths with the rest on quiet back roads and a one mile section of A road.