This is a stunning walking holiday full of variety, taking in Somerset and the North Devon coast in The Exmoor National Park. Parts of the route are not-so-gentle, but the rewards are well worth the effort: breathtaking coastline, charming rural villages in unspoilt locations, dramatic deep-cut valleys and wild, expansive moorland.
Starting in Lynmouth, the first few days feature spectacular walks along the South West Coastal Path, with opportunities to explore historic Lynton, ride the world famous Cliff Railway, eat hearty pub lunches washed down with local ales in idyllic locations, marvel at breathtaking views across the Bristol Channel, and visit dramatic coves, ancient woodlands and some of England's tallest cliffs.
The second half of the trip heads inland to the moors for a very different scene. The landscape here is wonderfully wild, unspoilt and unpopulated, with only the occasional village dotted here and there. A few ascents reward with fantastic views of the peaks of Dartmoor to the south, and Wales and the Black Mountains to the north. The wildlife here is abundant, with stags, birds of prey and horses to spot.
All in all, it's a fabulous route and a wonderful opportunity to explore the stunning countryside of this little corner of England.
- Price from
- Luxury £1,130 per person based on two people sharing a room
- Extras included
- Transfer from Barnstaple station to Lynmouth at start and back to Lynmouth or to Tiverton station from Tarr Steps at finish. See what’s included as standard
- 6 nights
- Start & Finish
- Starts daily in Lynmouth and finishes at Tarr Steps
- Luxury Characterful boutique hotels set in stunning locations
- Activity level
- Not so gentle walking. More info...
- This tour is priced without a guide and you are free to explore on your own. If you would like a guide for part or all of your trip, we are happy to provide a knowledgeable, local guide
- 5 days of walking 6 - 15 miles (10 - 24 km) per day
- Varied: quiet country roads, bridleways, country paths, and the South West Coastal Path. Some sections are steep and wooded
- Add an extra day or swap a day of walking (if it's raining or overcast) and take an Exmoor 4x4 Safari with knowledgable local guides. See local wildlife such as horses, deer and birds of prey, soak up dramatic landscapes, traverse fords and byways, and discover magical hidden valleys across the moors and valleys. Contact us for more details about booking. Cost not included in price.