This dramatic tour is one of the great walks of England. Start out on the beautiful sandstone cliffs and beaches of St. Bees on England’s west coast, home to kittiwakes, shags and fulmars, and finish on the east coast, the Dinosaur Coast at Robin’s Hood Bay, where it is said the legendary Robin Hood spent many quiet years fishing after his escapades with the Sherriff of Nottingham.
Inspired by Alfred Wainwright, the tour has all the poetry of the Lake District, the romance of the Yorkshire Dales and the grittiness of the North York Moors, three of England’s greatest National Parks. At 190 miles and an ascent (and descent) of 22,825 feet, the crossing of northern England is for the more experienced walker. It takes between two and three weeks to complete. But you don’t have to walk it in one fell stride, you can take in the beautiful lakes and mountains of the Lake District, then the rivers and dry stone walls of the Yorkshire Dales, and finally the rugged wilds of the North York Moors, dipping your toe in the Irish Sea on the west coast and in the North Sea on the east coast in different years.
- Price from
- Classic £2,980 per person based on two people sharing a room. The tour has three key sections running West to East: The Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors. A price is available for each section on request
- Luxury £7,600 per person based on two people sharing a room
- Extras included
- The luxury tour includes transfers at the beginning and end of each day to and from your hotel. See what’s included as standard
- 21 nights
- Start & Finish
- Start in St. Bees and finish in Robin Hood's Bay. Trains run from London Euston to St. Bees. For Robin's Hood Bay, Whitby is the nearest station (five miles away) with trains to London King's Cross
- Classic Hotels and B&B's full of charm and character
- Luxury 3 and 4* charming country house hotels
- Activity level
- Not so gentle walking (5) More info...
- This tour is priced without a guide and you are free to explore on your own. If you would like a guide for part or all of your trip, we are happy to provide a knowledgeable, local guide
- 21 days of walking 5-14 miles (8 - 22 km) per day
- Hilly with flat days