The Scottish Highlands are world renowned for their stunning scenery and the west coast where this tour begins includes peaceful and idyllic lochs, dramatic mountains and passes and a coastline dotted with a myriad of islands. Among these, the Outer Hebrides are some of the most remote which gives them their special character. With astonishingly beautiful white sandy beaches and isolated dwellings, the islands of Barra and the Uists reveal their crofting legacy and a flatter terrain for cyclists. Linked by a string of ferries, the tour includes the inner Hebridean island of Skye and its notable hills before returning to the mainland town of Fort William.
You might think that, alas, this is not the place for gentle cycling. And you would be correct - but for the vehicle support we provide as part of this tour. As a result we have planned an itinerary where you can avoid cycling any big hills or even medium sized hills and any main roads. We are very pleased with the route we have designed and its close historical links with the infamous Bonnie Prince Charlie, its blend of castles, local crafts, fishing culture and seafood and its unsurpassed landscapes.
Your Scottish host and driver will be with you for the duration of the trip, sharing his local knowledge and making sure a fun time is had by all. He will be sweeping your route and providing vehicle support along the way as well as fixing any bike problems and generally adding to the banter.
- Price from
- Classic £2,840 per person based on two people sharing a room. Four people are required for the tour.
- Extras included
- Dinner on the first night in Fort William and on the last night in Portree. Packed lunch on Day 2.. See what’s included as standard
- 8 nights
- Start & Finish
- Starts Thursdays and is circular from Fort William. Fort William is easily reached by train or road from London and Glasgow. Inverness, Glasgow and Prestwick airports are not too far away
- Classic Centrally located and hand picked hotels.
- Activity level
- Gentle cycling (2) More info...
- This tour is priced without a guide and you are free to explore on your own. If you would like a guide for part or all of your trip, we are happy to provide a knowledgeable, local guide. You have a driver for the full length of the tour, acting as host and sweeping the route as you cycle.
- Electric bikes
- Not available
- 7 days of cycling 20 miles (32 km) per day
- Almost no hills
- All minor roads with little traffic
- A ride on the steam train from Mallaig to Fort William on departure afternoon
- Additional nights in Fort William